Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September Smalls SAL & TUSAL reports :)

Oh my...when I post my TUSAL and Smalls report I'm always made more aware of the fact that the month is just about over! Which means that very soon shops will start displaying their Christmas decorations......oh....wait.....shops are already doing that here! Not the whole tree and all...but the merchandise is definitely on the shelves already - the tree shaped chocolates and ornies to mention two.

We had a gorgeous day today with friends...the weather was amazing and even though there was a slight breeze, the kids were in the pool while hubby and our friend did the cooking :D Well they bbq'd  :) But enough about that.....and on to the pics!

First off,....my orts for the month ...

TUSAL report - September
Not that many colours going on there.....

If you want to read more about the Totally Useless Stitch-A-Long hosted by DaffyCat then head on over here :)

As previously mentioned I spent most of the month stitching on the Castle piece, but did manage to get this little bitty done :)


This little fob is one of Maja"s (The Snowflower Diaries) free designs and can be found here .
I stitched this using DMC threads. I had a small piece of this autumn leaves fabric that just seemed to shout out and say "Pick me!" when I was trying to decide what to use as a backing :)
The Smalls SAL is being hosted by Heather at Stitching Lotus, and if you would like to know a bit more about it then click the little logo on the right that says Smalls SAL 2014 :)

Halloween is not really a very big thing out here in South Africa. It's slowly become more "known" over the last few years, with a few themed parties popping up, but certainly no little ones walking through the neighbourhoods and asking for treats! Definitely not when I was growing up either! Strange how holidays evolve over the years. Do you "celebrate" Halloween in your part of the world? Do you pop up the decorations and have little visitors looking to trick you for a treat? Has the holiday changed over the years? Become more popular? Become less popular? If you give treats, what kind do you actually pop in their little loot bags? Apples? Chocolates? Granola Bars? :D

Hope you all have a lovely week and weekend :)

Take care



15 comments:

Pamela said...

Adorable scissor fob!

sharah said...

Halloween is huge here! I decorate the whole house and the kids dress up. They trick or treat and go to the party at the local church. We get the big mixed bags of candy so we can pick out the good stuff for ourselves.

Linda said...

Congrats on the adorable finish Thoeria. Nice orts. We get about 200 - 300 kids trick or treating here.

Linda

cucki said...

Sweet scissor fob and lovely orts x

Sheryl S. said...

Lovely scissor fob. Halloween isn´t celebrated here, but they are trying to make it popular. we are increasingly starting to see a lot of fancy dress costumes in the shops and children in the schools are starting to do little class celebrations etc.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Thoeria! Lovely completed projects. I have never used a fob. I'd probably get it tangled...I have a messy work table.

I was surprised to read that Halloween is not popular where you live. I somehow thought it would be a big deal EVERYWHERE ~lol~ I lead a sheltered life in Northern Indiana USA. Yes, it is a huge deal here and I love it. It is by far my favorite holiday. I decorate for it, but when my daughter and my grandchildren were small I REALLY went all out with decorations all over the house and on the front deck. I must admit that the beggers on Begger's Night have become somewhat sparse. In this day and age, the kids don't venture too far from their own neighborhood. I usually give cans of pop so I don't have a lot of candy left around.

Interesting post.
xx, Carol

Mii Stitch said...

Cute scissor fob :)

Pull the other thread said...

Love the little fob. Trick or treating has been going on here for a long time but now there are more parties and adult themed Halloween things like horror movie nights and the like.

Carol said...

Hi Thoeria--just found your lovely blog and your little scissor fob is adorable. As you probably know Halloween is huge here in the U.S.--and becoming bigger and bigger. The decorations are sold earlier and earlier in the stores and kids start planning their costumes as soon as the first hint of fall is in the air :)

Brita said...

Hi, Thoeria, found your blog through MMMM a while back. Love your scissor fob.
I'm from Germany, 45 years old. When I was a child nobody in our circle even knew what Halloween was and most young adults I meet through work didn't either. It's only been in the past few years, mostly I think through globalisation as in access to Facebook, Twitter..., that Halloween has become more important here but it's seems to be mainly commercial and an excuse to go begging for sweets which get thrown into the bin soon enough. I haven't witnesses even one Halloween party in my life!

Kaisievic said...

Halloween is not very big in Australia, either. Love your finished scissor fob - very cute.

Brenda A said...

The little scissors fob is fab! :)

KimM said...

Love your scissor fob finish. I love scissor fobs, anyway….they're kind of like scissor jewelry ;0)
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's such a cute scissor fob and beautifully finished too.
Hallowe'en was not so big a holiday in the UK because we have Bonfire Night on 5th November and that was huge when I was a child. Every family had a box of fireworks in their garden and we went round each other's houses to share their fireworks too.
Then the bigger organised displays took over and fewer people had home fireworks. Which did cut down the enormous amounts of accidents on the evening!
Now the supermarkets have realised they can make more money out of Hallowe'en so that is taking over.
The schools do not celebrate it though, our teacher has said they are not allowed to promote it because of the "dark side". We are not even a church school either. Fortunately Hallowe'en always falls in the half term holiday so they just avoid the subject!

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

A lovely scissor fob.