Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

I'm late with this post....I know I am ....it should have been posted on Monday...but life and it's grubby little fingers kept interfering! But enough of the excuses!

I received an email from Brigitte who can be found blogging here, "At Brigitte's Place", inviting me to participate in this fun, friendly hop around the world in cyberland :) Thanks for the invitation Brigitte! If you haven't yet visited her, you should have a peek at the eye candy Brigitte has on her blog!

Now...as part of the hop, there are a few questions that are asked....which I'll attempt to answer without going off the beaten track!

The questions are:
1. What are you currently working on?
2. How does my work differ from others?
3. Why do I write/create/do what I do?
4. How does my creating process work?

Well...let's see...to answer what I'm working on brings a blush of shame and embarrasment to my cheeks! Before discovering the wonderful world of blogland and forums and with the assistance of enablers from all over the world (even if they may not be aware that they're enablers!) I went from a "one project" lass to a "driven out of my mind by too many things on the go" lass! I have a few really HUGE projects on the go....ummmm....ok....not everyone would call them huge, but in my book they're HUGE...HUGE!

I started my first HAED design this year June...and after 4 months I managed to complete the first column on the first page, and a smidge more!

Once I finish about 185,000 stitches....I'll have this piece of gorgeousness!

HAED - Garden of Delight
by Willian Morris
Stitched 1x1 on 25ct evenweave with DMC threads

Check back in about 10 years :D

I am also trying to work my way through the starts I made in 2012 when I signed up for Crazy January Challenge....ummm......I won't comment on the moment of insanity! Needless to say I am slowly whittling through the pile! There's a list of projects I currently have on the go on the right hand side of my blog....so you  can have a look see if you'd like to see what other biggy bits I'm playing with. To entertain myself I try and rotate pieces and am currently participating in the Mega Mini Month Madness hosted by Pull the Other Thread as well as the 2014 Smalls SAL being hosted by Heather at Stitching Lotus.

What I do is not in any way different or special to any crafter.....except I may bea WHOLE lot slower at it! I've never been a speedy stitcher - and I generally only stitch at night once my tribe of 4 (yes I counted hubby in with the kids!) has been sent to bed!

Other than cross-stitching, I  practise rudimentary knitting and surface embroidery....have tried to dabble in hardanger (not with great success ....YET!) and taught myself to crochet using a variety of books and You Tube and Blog tutorials. My sewing machine was finally dusted off this year and I'm trying to teach myself how to use it properly....hopefully there'll be a quilt someday!

There is no process to my madness....I just DO...and hope it turns out alrighty!

And I know this is not one of the questions but I wanted to share either ways (the beaten track I mentioned up at the top :D

When I was a children (not so long ago I know :P) we were forced to do needlework at Primary School as a subject....yes FORCED to!!! I HATED it! My embroidery pieces had so many holes in them my mum had to to fix them ALL THE TIME! My knitting pieces had even more holes in that they were beyond redemption and I have a very distinct memory of having to put my hand out for a few whacks from the ruler as I had "forgotten" my knitting that day.....yes......back when teachers were allowed to discipline kids with a ruler! Anyways....that's a topic for another discussion...I'm merely trying to let you know how much I detested and hated and abhored any form of needlework! As soon as I got to High School and could drop the hateful subject...I did! Okay...so I did Home Economics which wasn't *that* much better...but hey! At least I could EAT the products of my ventures! And then.....about 10 years ago, I bought a small surface embroidery kit and played with it to relieve my boredom.....and about 6 years ago a friend of mine showed me cross stitch....and I was hooked! Now who would have guessed that the little girl in pigtails (yes....I really did have 2 pigtails!) would end up enjoying creating with her hands again? :)

Anyways....if you managed to make it through all that rambling....thanks for reading!

Now...I needed to pass the baton along to other bloggers, but unfortunately most of my ladies were unable to play along. Justine was invited to play along by another blogger.....and since she'll be posting her responses next week Monday, 27th October, head on over to her blog here and get to know a lil bit more about this very talented lady!

Hope you all have a great week!

Until the next post!

Take care

8 comments:

cucki said...

lovely post..
lovely to read about you..
hugs xx

Justine said...

Thanks for the compliment! I was laughing along with your comments, I think we have rather a lot in common but you'll have to read my blog next week to find out!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It was nice to get to know you a little better. I enjoy your posts and am amazed at the cross stitching you do.
xx, Carol

Mrs. GraceWorks said...

Ah yes, I was a one at a time stitcher, too. I always felt HORRIBLE if I had more than one on the go. Now I have 3 HAED's on the go, and at least 6 other WIP's. I am going to attempt to work on these WIPs diligently for awhile, though... well, at least til Christmas! LOL!!!

Tricia

Linda said...

It was nice to learn a little more about you Thoeria. I won't say how many I have started.

Linda

Preeti said...

It was nice to know more about you :) I think WIP fever has gone viral across the blogland especially among the cross stitchers ;) I am also one of the affected ones.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Another former OAAT stitcher here! The funny thing is I am still happiest just stitching one project but I get so sidelined I can't help it!

I loathed Home Ec at school, I was a total disaster, my fish cakes became fish pie they were so runny! It was a total relief to discover that Latin was in the same column as all the practical subjects (part time teacher only paid to work one day a week!) so I was able to study Amo Amas Amat instead of burning the school down!

Brigitte said...

I'm somewhta late with my comment. But better late than never.
I was enjoying reading everything you told us about you and your creative ways. I can thoroughly relate to your experiences with needlework classes at school. They were my most horrible classes. ANeedlework became only interesting for me after leaving school, lol.