Sunday, January 31, 2016

A bit of sewing ....and other stuff :)

A few years ago hubby bought me this little beauty....


 It's a fairly basic, entry -level sewing machine.....but for the longest time (and I mean years!) I was scared of it! It languished in a corner all sad and forlorn.

I have since overcome my fear of using her....but she wore nothing but this piece of horrible-ness....


Well...I finally decided to do something about it, and spent a few hours over the weekend getting her all dressed up :)



I trolled the internet looking for ideas on how best to create a cover, and there are loads of ideas out there!  I had first thought I'd get all fancy and incorporating some applique and simple embroidery into the design, but decided to keep it simple. So no fancy applique....no side pockets....no frills. Next time I can get creative :D

I've also been playing around with some pencils and colours :D


And drooling at the blocks in my new crochet books that arrived


I'm about halfway through my son's blanket, and will then be able to start on one for my youngest :) I can't wait to sink my teeth into a few of these blocks!

As I spent most of the weekend finishing the cover, I didn't get around to any baking....maybe tomorrow....

I had not planned on joining any new stitchy endeavours or SALs.....but when I saw that Kathy Shaw is offering another of her wonderful classes (this one will cover embellishing with thread...including surface embroidery motifs, beaded and silk ribbon monograms and more!) I *had* to sign up! The work covered should take up until April to complete, so I definitely won't be able to complain that I don't have anything to do!

I hope that you all had wonderful, restful weekends :)

Take care




15 comments:

cucki said...

Your crochet book is looking so lovely..
Happy crochet x

Rachel Tomkins said...

You have definitely had a productive weekend as your sewing machine cover is beautiful! Well done you! Hope it's not too long before your drooling days are over and you can start crocheting some of those blocks. :)

Heather said...

Great job! I need to get a sewing machine. I have a tiny one but it doesn't do much lol. The coloring looks great! The only coloring book I have is a Brigid ash wood one but I'm planning on using it to make cross stitch patterns.

Vickie said...

Well isn't that lovely!!

Linda said...

The cover turned out great Thoeria. I bought a sewing machine about 3 - 4 years ago and have never even opened the box.

Linda

Pamela said...

What a great machine cover! I love what you've done.

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I really like that sewing machine cover. I so need to get around to making one (or three) for my machines!

Preeti said...

Lovely sewing machine cover!!:) I have it on my to do list but cover for printer took priority. Moreover, the machine came with a closing unit so I have been putting it for a long time.
I have that 50 crochet squares book and I have made most of those. What I did with them ? don't ask me :(

Justine said...

I love your cover! Just shows how far you have come with your sewing. I am a bit afraid of my machine too, but then I discovered I need to change the needle and now it's working much better! I still have to go very slowly though.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Nice cover and I love the color you chose too. I will never use all the features of my sewing machine. Technology intimidates me. I think I learn enough to get me by. I HATE practice!!
xx, Carol

Meari said...

Ooooh, the new sewing machine cover is pretty! Good job.

I've been doing some coloring, too.

Mii Stitch said...

Great job on your machine cover!!
Now you can do one for mine :D

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The sewing machine cover is lovely, I do like purples.
Good luck with the class project too. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Brigitte said...

You are right, your machine needed a new cover, lol. And you were doing a great job, Thoeria. Great fabrics that you used for it. Now your sewing machine looks totally different - good for you, lol.
These crochet books look very promising.
I know what you mean about not joining any new SALs etc - this is my plan whenever a new year starts and it goes astray very soon after the start of a new year, lol. Have fun with your class.

Angela said...

Lovely finish with your sewing machine!