Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Back to Normality...

Well.....I'm not sure if many would call crazy goings-on here "normal"! So....it's about as normal as it's going to get....

The kids have all started back at school (I always find it strange that elsewhere the school year statrs at the end of the year!). This year sees my eldest start her final year in High School....next year she's off to University! Oh my!

Back to School.....And so another year starts!

Now that the kiddies are back to school and we're returning to our scheduled madness...I have been busy with this and that.....

Sadly, not much this-ing or that-ing on Serenity....


As you may notice (or may not as it's such a tiny teeny patch!) I've added a bit of dark green grass to the bottom piece of Part 6.

I have also managed to piece together the first 12 blocks of my Seaside Quilt...




Putting these blocks together has certainly been a learning experience for me. Trying to get the block seams to line up just right have not yet been mastered....

Wonky blocks with seams not quite aligned!

But....I'm ok with that....well.....relatively ok.....I admit that I unpicked the seams more than once before deciding to let it be .....the unaligned seams will add it's own charm (yes I keep telling myself that when I look at them ...and maybe I'll convince myself totally about that if I keep repeating it :D)

I finally settled down to stitching something for my nephew.....after two false starts on pieces I initially thought "Yes!! That's it!!"
While sorting the pile of magazines I came across this and thought....well....that is cute....and blue.....and pretty....and blue.....and has space for details.....and blue.....(get the picture?)

Duck Duo Chart featured in World of Cross Stithing Issue187
You can't properly see it...but there's a yellow flow in the print of the fabric.....really pretty!

I have also been baking....


Choc Chip Cookies
I try to bake every Sunday....something for the kids to pop into their lunch boxes....it doesn't last the whole week though...no matter how much I bake! 

And I've also been doing some reading :)


Have you ever picked up a book and found yourself wading through it with some difficulty? I'm normally a big fan of the Alex Delaware series, but made the mistake of reading some of the personal reviews on Goodreads, and think this may have clouded my usual optimism! Do you ever put a book you've started reading aside? I try not to.....but it does make for slow reading!

Well....I'm off to watch my son on the cricket field!

Have a lovely day all.....and those who are in cold weather areas please take care and stay snuggly!

Take care


17 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I do that baking thing on Mondays, mostly. My 20 year old grandson lives with us. 6'4" and 180 soaking wet. I keep trying to fatten him up but he is athletically active and it's just no use, lol. I think your quilt looks great!! So cheerful!! It is kind of silly that our school years start in the fall. We are a farming country and I'm sure that began because the kids worked in the fields and a long break in the summer would not have beneficial for continued lessons in the same school year.
Xx, Carol

Vickie said...

What a sweet picture of your children. Your oldest is the same age as your youngest. She is going to live at home and commute to University in the fall.
The Seaside Quilt is just wonderful.
I need to bake chocolate chip cookies now. :D

KimM said...

Love the picture of your children. They look like they are ready to roll. Your quilt is stunning!! LOVE it. Great stitching.
xxx

Heather said...

You've been busy! Your stitching looks great and I love how the quilt is coming along. The cookies look yummy!

Justine said...

Your kids are gorgeous! Great photo of them all ready for learning.

cucki said...

Aww your kids are so sweet...
Stitching is looking so pretty ..big hugs X
Yummy cookies...I love cookies ❤️

Emma/Itzy said...

Bless, they all look so sweet ready for school! Our school year starts in September here :) Yes I hate books like that, but I hate leaving a book half read!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

They look quite happy to be going back to school. Like Carol says, the school year starts after the long summer off where all the children worked in the fields.
I frequently stop books after a few chapters, I have to read enough to be able to recommend them to the right customer. It's a really good book which captures me enough to read the whole thing and not just skip through the chapters!

Kaisievic said...

I am with you, the school year needs to start at the start of the year - lol! Your baking looks yum, now it is just TraderVic and I, not much baking is happening here unless it is for a work morning tea - especially as TV is trying to cut down on sugar as his New Year Resolution! Serenity Harbour is looking fab and I love your quilt, I cannot see any wonky seams! You have gorgeous children, who do look happy to be going to school and good luck to your son and his cricket team this season.

Linda said...

Great post Thoeria. Your kids are awesome.

Linda

Preeti said...

Lovely photo of your kids :) I know it's very difficult to find time for stitching and cross stitch is always a slow progress compared to the amount of time we spend. Your quilt is looking colorful and pretty!! I saw a quote once about crafters - "we don't do mistakes, we do variations" :)
I have never read that author. I always see the bad review first and then the good reviews, but ultimately it's the storyline that I consider worth reading or not. I also have a bad habit of checking books with good cover page.
Good luck to your son for his cricket match:)

Rachel Tomkins said...

I ditto other comments about your children - they are gorgeous, and presumably very well behaved!!! Hopefully life will return to "normal" now that school has started back. :)

Brigitte said...

Great to see a new post from your corner of the earth. And so lovely to see that picture of your kids ready to go back to school. Enjoy the time that they all still live at home, once university starts it will be different.

Good that you could do some stitching and also sewing. Nice progress on Harbour and on the little piece for your nephew. That seaside quilt already looks gorgeous, you have some really nice blocks there. Aligning the seams correctly is sometimes a bit difficult but when it just varies a little bit I wouldn't mind. Nobody but you will ever notice it, lol.

I never read reviews of a book before I have read the book myself. I used to do that but when the reviews were too negative I lost my mojo to read the book. Now I read them afterwards and it happens that I loved reading a book although lots of readers didn't. And I sometimes stop reading a book and then I realize that most people loved it. But hey, the tastes are different. And that's good.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Lovely to 'hear' from you, Theoria. I love the photo of your kids. It's hard to believe that you have a child almost ready to go to university! I can sympathise with you about getting seams just right in quilting but I think your quilt top looks great.

Sheryl S. said...

Your seaside quilt is lovely, such pretty colours and the kids look great and prepared for school again. I have very little time for reading now and never try to struggle through a book, if you are not hooked after the first few chapters, leave it. My son bought me `Lord of the Rings` which I tried to struggle with... maybe next year.

hookedonstitches said...

Love your seaside quilt :) And that book cover is the stuff of nightmares, will have to watch out for that one at work!

rosey175 said...

Hey can I have some cookies too? :D And this nor-mal you speak of, what is it? Surely such a thing does not exist! :b

I don't think I would even touch that book without feeling like I would be crawling with creepies, yuck lol. I really try hard to wade all the way through books. There's only been one I just couldn't finish, and I really wanted to. I like high fantasy so it was Terry Brooks original Shannara series. I made it through Sword and Elfstones but just couldn't get through Wishsong even after months. The whole series was like a strange ripoff of LotR. I tried. Lol.