Sunday, January 10, 2016

Resolutions anyone???

What is it about the start of a new year that has many of us running around like mad trying to start the year "afresh"....."anew"... "a better/stronger/fitter/healthier/more disciplined"person???
I admit that I gave up on resolutions of any that nature many many years ago.....the guilt at not being able to go the distance was just too debilitating!! And besides....every day is a new opportunity to be any or all of the above!

So instead of resolutions.....I spend some time reflecting on the year that had passed and what lessons I may have learnt. And there are always loads of those.....some I'd have preferred to have not been reminded of.....and others that that have me grinning as I remember the circumstances around them :)

So no long lists of goals....just a few changes that I have made.....

1. I will go through my stash of magazines and do a serious culling......
Like many stitchers, I had (notice that I've used the past tense there!) a HUGE stash of magazines....these are some of them!

About 2/3 through my magazine sort

I've spent some time over the last few evenings paging through each one of them with a serious eye as to whether or not I'd ever stitch the designs. Where a pattern caught my fancy and held my interest, I removed it. Shock and horror!!! I have always been set against doing this, but I really did not want to keep the entire magazine if all I wanted was one chart!

The free kits that I decided to keep have been popped into a folder along with the chart, ready for when I want to get around to finishing them.



I've now passed along every single magazine to a friend who used to stitch and is thinking of getting back into it. She will be going through them to see if there are any copies she wishes to keep....and then I'll be dropping the rest at the charity shop.

2. I will complete Serenity Harbour this year....
Well I'm well into Part 6 at the moment so halfway there!


Not long before Part 6 is completed!

3. I will read more....


I used to be an avid reader.....before I discovered stitching! And somehow over the past few years between stitching...kids and life...reading had dropped off the radar. These past few weeks I picked up a book and was reminded of how I enjoyed being transported to a different world.

4. I will run  a half marathon....
And since I've registered and have my flights booked for the race in March.....there's no backing out of it.....even though I'm starting to think that I'm crazy!!!

That's it! Everything else I do this year will be a bonus!!!

And the year certainly has started on a lovely note.....

My youngest sister went into labour ....and we welcomed a new little one to the world on Tuesday! I'll only be meeting him when I go to Cape Town in March though....but he is sooooo cute!!



Guess I better get started with the sampler and finish off the monkey!!!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Take care






16 comments:

Rachel Tomkins said...

I think you're very sensible having ideas about what you would like to achieve rather than set targets. 1 and 3 should be easily achievable whereas 2 will depend on free-time and 4 on your will-power! Good luck with all of them, especially the half marathon - I'd be exhausted running 13 meters, let alone 13 miles!! :)

Brigitte said...

No resolutions for me, no, just plans. I love to start a new year because I love that magical first day when my calendar is still pristine and offers so many new days, lol. And so many new pieces to stitch.

Oh my , Thoeria, you were tearing pages off your magazines, oh my. Lol. I was doing this too years ago but then realized that my tastes were always changing so now I don't do that any longer. But I can understand everyone who is doing so, you need a lot less space to keep the designs just in folders than the whole magazines.

I wish you luck with your plans. And looking forward to seeing your Harbour grow.

cucki said...

Aww good luck with all your goals...
This year I am going to relax and eat more chocolates :)
The little baby is sobcute..lots of blessings for him.
Big hugs xx

Linda said...

Lots of luck with your goals Thoeria. I have set any because I know I won't keep them. lol

Linda

Annie said...

Oh you are brave to get rid of your cross stitching magazines! Like a previous commenter said, I have found that my taste changes too so I don't think I could get rid of mine. Even if they are a huge hassle to store...lol.

Emma/Itzy said...

They seem like some great goals for the year - we have some same too!

I really need to go through my magazines, I am even considering cancelling one of my subscriptions as I just don't care for the charts in them anymore.

Kaisievic said...

These are great goals, Thoeria, and Serenity Harbour is looking fab (I am actually yet to start - so maybe that needs to be a goal for me!) and welcome to you sweet little nephew. Happy New Year, my dear.

Vickie said...

I am with you. I like to think about realistic goals for the future.

Heather said...

Aww great new start to the year! He's adorable and it's always good to get rid of what won't be used. Good luck on your marathon :)

Justine said...

Awww your nephew is adorable! Congratulations Auntie! Hope your sister is recovering well.
I culled my magazines last year and haven't once regretted it. Good luck in achieving all your goals for 2016.

Preeti said...

Congrats on the arrival of a new joy in your family!! He is cute:)
Your stitching has progressed nicely !! I purchase digital issues and then I maintain the selected charts' details in an excel sheet. I have defined goals in terms of what I need to improve and learn rather than how many to stitch. I was going into anxiety with more WIPs. I also started reading goals since last year. Try goodreads.com, you can take challenge to read n number of books. I took 24 last year, could read only 13 and then thought I must reduce, but no, I kept again 24, it helped me push into some reading.
I liked Cucki's goal very much, straightforward and very sweet :)

Mii Stitch said...

oooh I stopped buying magazines last year, I was rarely stitching any of their charts :)

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

These are sound achievable goals. Your progress on Serenity Harbour looks great.

KimM said...

You know, I've come to the same conclusion - I need to sort, toss and give away some things so I can focus on what I really, REALLY want to create. You've inspired me to finally get off my stitching couch and make the plunge. It always feels good once I accomplish something like this.
P.S. What a cutie!!
xxx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

That's a small pile of magazines compared to mine LOL. I only subscribe to two now but ought to cull some of the older ones.

Congratulations to your sister on the new arrival.

Stitcher said...

I think your way of welcoming the New Year is a much better plan! I will have to remember this for next year. I did make some of those resolutions this year and like you say at the end of the year I feel guilty I didn't accomplish my goals.