Monday, February 29, 2016

What was I thinking??!!

Well.....clearly I *wasn't* thinking at all when I made certain decisions!

Starting on the stitchy front.....the first task (yes I'm behind with this one!) that we were given in the Crazy Quilt class was to create two trees...
Now by itself this does not sound like a crazily hectic task, does it? It does, however, become a lot more challenging when ....in your own infinite wisdom....you decide to make one of the trees a french knot one.....

Block 1 with its French Knot Tree


I haven't as yet started tree 2, but have made the block.
I've decided to work on a 6"x 6"sized block for this class

Block 2
Still on the stitch front....I have finally completed Part 6 of Serenity!!!

Part 6 all done!

Serenity Harbour
Parts 1-6
On the non-stitch but still "what the heck was I thinking???!!!!" front....I completed my first ever half marathon yesterday!! That's a total distance of 21.1kms.....or 13.1 miles for those who don't do metric :) No I did not RUN that full distance...I ran...walked....plodded and cursed my way through it!

Finishing Medal :)

I crossed the finish line at 3 hours 4minutes and 48 seconds :)




And after all that.....I had to rest my weary feet before starting the 35 minute drive back home :D



This was my practise run....to see if I could actually go the distance...and if I would stand a chance to finish it before the cut off of my next race which takes place on the 26th March :) I'd say I stand a pretty ok chance of not getting turned back

I will no doubt be unable to move tomorrow.......

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Take care



18 comments:

Pamela said...

Congrats on the half marathon finish! Good for you!

Heather said...

Congrats on finishing I couldn't do that! Good luck on the French knot tree crazy lady lol! It looks amazing so far :). Everything looks great!

rosey175 said...

I am sleepy just thinking of 13 miles! My husband and I hike on nice weekends but the most has never been more than 5 miles. But YAY YOU YAAAAAY :D

Also I loooooove your French knot tree! I'm sure you'll be seeing them in your sleep before long but it will be worth it in the end! I am a weirdo who like making them. I guess you could make the next tree a pine tree with only straight stitches for needles haha

Linda said...

Congrats on the marathon finish Thoeria. That made me hurt just reading about it. Lovely projects that your working on.

Linda

Angela said...

Congrats on finishing the half marathon! Lovely progress on Serenity Harbour :)

Pull the other thread said...

Huge Congrats on the Half Marathon finish!! Also great progress on your projects, that tree is beautiful.

KimM said...

Beautiful stitching ....and a HUGE congratulations on your half marathon finish! I was a runner in my younger years, so truly appreciate your accomplishment. Take care
xxx

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Indeed, what WERE you thinking when you said WHAT was I thinking? Congrats on the Marathon!! When I read how long it took I felt amazed and some form or proud of you for accomplishing that feat of healthy exercise that I would never even have a seed of thought to do!!

Ahh, french knot trees. I LOVE them. And french knot trees only take a few minutes to see gorgeous progress even if the entire tree might seem like it takes forever. Not INSTANT gratification, but the very best kind.

Do you think you'll need a new pair of shoes before your next race?
xx, Carol

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Congratulations on completing the half marathon. The longest race I ever ran was 10k.
I think your French knot tree is impressive.

Vickie said...

YOU are awesome! Congratulations!
I love that tree you are making. It will be so worth it in the end.

cucki said...

Congrats my dear ..well done
Love your stitching x

Preeti said...

Congrats on the sporty finish !!:) I can only walk . Your tree is looking great and you made a good progress on serenity stitching as well.

Kaisievic said...

Wow! Well done on finishing the half marathon - a great achievement and double wow on Serenity Bay Harbour SAL - now just to dust mine off and get started! lol!

Thoeria said...

Thanks Mary :)

Rachel Tomkins said...

In the nicest possible sense can I say that you are mad for doing a french knot tree! But it looks fabulous and no doubt will look evenm more stunning once finished. Congratulations on Serenity and your half marathon too. You're a good example to us all! :)

Brigitte said...

Ha, I was just holding my breath when I read that you started to make your tree with French Knots. And when I clicked on the picture I saw them. And I have to say: They are quite simply gorgeous, so it was a great decision you made. Will you also stitch something on the second block? Considerable progress on your Harbour piece.
Congratulations on finishing the half marathon. What an achievement! I couldn't even imagine doing a quarter marathon, lol.

Justine said...

Congratulations! What a fantastic achievement. Your stitching is all lovely but that half marathon is incredible.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

A French Knot tree is definitely a sign of a troubled mind! It does look good though.

I regulary walk 3 miles to one or other of the boys' schools (takes me 40-45 minutes) so could probably manage to walk a half-marathon course without too much difficulty. But I can't even run for a bus these days so that would be right out!